As you're hearing tonight's program, I will be playing tuba with the Big Brass Bed Quintet in Nate Engh's trombone recital. We're playing a Bach cantata called "How I Will Rejoice" (trans. English). Just thought I'd let you know...
Appropriately enough, the Jazz Connextion this evening is a feature of the Tubists of Jazz. I will be chronicling their rise from Dixieland and New Orleans Brass styles via Chicago w/ Louis Armstrong, then throughout the Midwest and all of America with big bands and onward to Hollywood (for the movies) and other extravagant. Hope you enjoy this! Follow the links for tuba related nonsense. Also, spend some time on KWLC.
1. Preservation Hall Jazz Band (feat. Allan Jaffe on Sousaphone) - Best of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Tiger Rag
2. Louis Armstrong and his Hot 7 (feat. Pete Briggs on the tuba) - West End Blues - Alligator Crawl
3. Canadian Brass (feat. Chuck Daellenbach on the tuba) - Pops - Sweet Georgia Brown
4. Charles Mingus (feat. Don Butterfield on the tuba) - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady -(Soul Fusion) Freewoman and Oh, This Freedom's Slave Cries
5. Youngblood Brass Band (feat. Nat McIntosh on the Sousaphone) - Unlearn - Pastime Paradise
6. Kermit Ruffins and the Rebirth Brass Band (feat. Philip Frazier on the Sousaphone) - Throwback - Mardi Gras Day
7. Gene Pokorny - Tuba Tracks - Memories of You
8. Jim Self and Ron Kalina - The Odd Couple - Someone to Light Up My Life [check out the Fluba]
9. Dave Douglas (feat. Marcus Rojas on the tuba) - Spirit Moves - This Love Affair